Friday, January 28, 2011

Dive logged #001 - First day at sea


SAPI ISLAND IS A SMALL ISLE WITH STRETCHES OF SANDY BEACH BEAUTIFULLY LAID OUT FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES TO CHILL OUT. A boat transfer from Jesselton Point to Sapi Island will normally take you about 15 minutes. The island has a restaurant which will cater to most taste buds; from local to western cuisines. Apart from that, basic amenities are provided to tickle your comfort zone; a convenient store, toilets, changing and shower rooms. For those of you who prefer the greener side of nature, help yourself to some short jungle treks and experience the life in a tropical island.

There are a number of water sport operators in Sapi Island ready to rope you in for an adventure. Be it Sea Kayaking, Parasailing, Sea Walking, Snorkelling or even Scuba Diving, brace yourself for a heart-thumping good time! For scuba diving enthusiasts, the island boasts 4 splendid dive sites;-

1. Clement's Reef
2. Ron's Reef
3. Coral Garden
4. Sapi House Reef

..and this is the island where you will be learning your confined water and open water dives.

Your first underwater journey will take place at:

Sapi House Reef
  • Depth: 1 - 20 meters
  • Average: 8 meters
  • TARP Rating: 6/10
  • Unique Features: The training site with artificial reef balls together with tyres, dragon nets, garden eels, blue spotted sting rays, stone fish, leaf fish, barracuda's and lots of tropical reef fish.



This was the site where I first plunged, way back in 2006. A student's playground if you must; mastering all your basic skills - mask clearing, regulator recovery, mask removal, fins pivot test, buoyancy control, etc.

Once you are confident enough and have acquired all the necessary skills, you'll experience your first step into the realm of the underwater world, trailing off behind your instructor (with your tail between your legs I suppose). Beach dive; what I normally call it, is the easiest dive entry ever! Slowly the colour change. Blueish spectrum builds up and you are looking left and right.

School of tropical fishes soon finds you an interesting creature that emits strange noises. All you can think of is,
"will they eat me?"


..hehehe, yes I chuckled. And no, they won't eat you! If you ask me, my first experience was surreal. I was just overwhelmed to see a whole new world of living, breathing creatures and I was part of it! Me! A guy who throws cigarette butts into the ocean (which, *ehem*, I don't anymore). I can still vividly remember how nervous I was. Well you've got to be because it's your first time underwater. After few minutes of, "oh no, I think I'm running out of air" and "my mask is leaking" thoughts, I've finally found peace with the fishes, the sea and the sound of tranquility streaming through my compressed ears.

Well, what can I say.... That was the beginning of my love and passion for diving. A long the way I've made new friends through scuba diving. And it was really nice to hear some of their, "in the beginning..." scuba diving tales.

How was your first scuba experience? I could go on forever but I'll just leave that for a while (too many embarrassing moments I tell you).


If you are at the moment thinking of the underwater world and don't know where to start or you are currently a certified diver but thinking of what PADI course should I take next, don't worry you are not alone. Contact your local dive operator or friends who are active in scuba diving or join a fun diving during your day off :), I'm sure you'll be able to get more information out of it.

Till next time.

Forever blowing bubbles & be active in scuba diving!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this, well !Scuba guide especially serves as a means for providing exclusive information for those interested in either taking up scuba diving as a favorite hobby or to become a specialized scuba diving instructor with bestscubapro.
    http://www.bestscubapro.com/

    ReplyDelete